If this is the first time you are hearing of Google certifications, let me write a quick introduction. Google has essentially created a platform for learning more about all of their products that they offer and a way to be certified that you know what you are doing . And while not everyone thinks this process is worthwhile, I do. Before I go through the main two reasons it holds value, let me introduce the certifications that are available.
With so many categories (and with many tests taking hours to complete), are they worth it? We say yes and this is why:
- Learning straight from or Google carries more weight than reading articles from experts in the field. That’s not to say reading articles by 3rd party experts like Neil Patel, Rand Fishkin and Larry Kim aren’t valuable, they are. But ultimately, Google develops the confines we all work in and it is important to know at least the basics of each offering they provide.
- These exams are serious and are not for lightweight digital marketers. Passing these things requires an intense amount of knowledge…or cheating (and I’m a glass half full type of person so I write this off). Simply put, if you’re are not an expert, you won’t pass.
This doesn’t mean that agencies with certifications are all experts or that agencies without them are all idiots. These certifications can take a long time and for a busy agency (the sign of a well run agency), time is at a premium. In fact, Sharp Guys’ mostly focuses on the most valuable ones (like Google Analytics) that are the foundation of every other certification. Ultimately, only real world experience getting client’s great results should be used as a determining factor when deciding on an agency.
Once you complete the test you will get a profile page and badges will be added like the ones shown below.
At Sharp Guys’ we have a team that has passed not only AdWords Fundamentals and Search Advertising, but also Shopping Advertising and Display Advertising (with the other certifications coming soon).
If you are going through the process of finding a new agency, take a look at their certifications but more importantly, chat with some of the clients they have worked with in the past and learn more about their process and what type of results they have been able to provide.
- Google Analytics Platform Principles
- Digital Analytics Fundamentals
- Ecommerce Analytics: From Data to Decisions
- Mobile App Analytics Fundamentals
- Google Tag Manager Fundamentals
- Think with Google
- 50 Online Marketing Influencers to Watch in 2016.